Friday 10 January 2014

UEA collaboration briefing



Today we had an unexpected briefing about a new project in collaboration with the first year creative writing students at UEA. At first I was quite apprehensive and confused about the whole thing but on reflection I'm really excited- I've always wanted the opportunity to illustrative some new text with the input of the author and it should be an invaluable experience. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is timing as I'm worried I won't have the time to put in alongside my current project and I struggle a lot with confidence in my skill so I don't want to share something I'm not happy with. 


Sick Day for Amos McGee 300x276 Top 20 Childrens Books of 2010 (#5 1)
Writer and Illustrator collaboration

I like the idea that we won't meet until the collaboration is finished as it feels like we will be meeting like pen pals and it also makes it easier to be honest with a partner over email and without knowing them which is key to a successful collaboration. I have collaborated before with photographers and illustrators but this will be the first time with someone not at our university. I think it's really good idea to gain bonds with courses at UEA as we can provide each other with a good insight into collaborating in the industry and what it is like to work with people from other fields. Both universities also have different facilities and affiliates meaning combined we could create something really great; Glyn said that the creative writing course has funding from The Guardian which is exciting if they view the work as I would love to have any kind of opportunity with The Guardian. 


Text and image successfully working together


The next stage is to wait to find out who my collaborator is and to receive their text- all I know is that it will be a character profile that they have written for their course which is great as I love working on character design the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment