Monday 6 January 2014

The start of the end


Today was the first day back after the Christmas break and the beginning of the final part of my degree (scary!). It began with a briefing on BA8 which is all about 'Resolution, Consolidation, Innovation' and bridging the gap between education and our future careers and 'consolidating' my personal and professional development. To be honest I've been pretty scared of this moment for the entirety of my degree but now I'm here I'm ready to get on with it and I'm quite excited to move towards being a freelance illustrator. This is the time for me to develop confidence and create opportunities for myself and the range of workshops and lectures that we have to come is quite exciting especially visits to illustration studios in London. 




The key now is to spend today refining my ideas for BA8 to come up with a final project proposal and plan. I had my tutorial this afternoon to discuss my possible projects and Sue seemed confident in me focusing on the Hermione Hammond Award and D&AD 'Make Your Mark' competitions until March and then to move onto a more free personal project on fairy tales incorporating character and book design. 

She recommended focusing on the authentic and truthful aspect of the 'Make Your Mark' brief when presenting myself an a person and illustrator and to possible think about it literally with mark making and my mark on the world and she liked my quality of line and mark making skills. I agree that this project could be about my process which could be interesting to explore and I could learn a lot about myself and the way I work. 

My main failure is my time management and I need to keep an eye on that so I have made a week-by-week time plan of what projects I am focusing on with weekly goals and individual tasks to achieve which should help me to keep focused. My house has also decided to hold weekly group critiques to help us to all reflect  on and present our work and encourage us to understand our work better to explain it to others. I also need to balance my time between my practical work and my research report which is something that is a concern at the moment. I've decided to make some headway this week with getting my projects underway to have some research and initial ideas under my belt for the critique on Monday and then be able to focus on my writing without feeling left behind or guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment