Friday 17 January 2014

Joel Penkman interview

I am making a last push to try and gather some remaining interviews for my research report, mainly focusing on the illustrators of Handsome Frank to get their view point on having an agent after interviewing Handsome Frank as I think it can make a nice compare and contrast study case. Handsome Frank also has a great selection of professional illustrators in all different areas of the field so it is a good way to get a full view of the areas of illustration that an agent can be useful for.


Blancmange, Joel Penkman


Today I spoke to Joel Penkman, a painter and graphic designer with Handsome Frank. Joel creates mouth-wateringly realistic paintings of British sweets, pudding and traditional delicacies that first caught my eye on an online blog. It has been really interesting to hear his point of view on his career with an agent, especially as his style is fairly niche and unconventional. One of the most significant things that I learnt from Joel is that having an agent allows him to tell the rest of the world he's available to do commercial illustration when he might not be considered for such a role otherwise:

"I think my art borders illustration so I actually don't get that much illustration work. My painting style is not as versatile or adaptable as other illustrators. It is useful to have an agent in that it lets people know I will paint commercial illustration if asked."


Lyle's golden syrup, Joel Penkman


Joel also mentioned that having an agent allows his work to be promoted to the right people in the right way. He doesn't focus his self-promotion on online platforms as much as other illustrators and Handsome Frank's online presence promotes his work that way for him.

"They make an effort to promote their illustrators online, social media, in person and by getting involved in events. Handsome Frank directs their promotion towards the right people. I don't direct my promotion and rely on the internet, postings on blogs etc. This is still really helpful and people do get in contact with me from this."


Rocket lollies, Joel Penkman


Joel's communication with me has been really helpful and I look forward to bringing it into my essay to highlight how an agent can support more unconventional illustrators. It has been an honour to talk to such a talented individual and the research must continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment