Friday 10 January 2014

Platform session 1


Leading up to graduation we are doing a series of workshops that will lead to 4 events that push us to think about how our work can be viewed or experienced by the public which will essentially help me to develop for my graduation show. I'm really looking forward to these workshops as they break down the process leading up to my show and are a good opportunity to collaborate with other illustrators. These 4 events are divided into theatre, school, gallery and shop and I instantly found myself drawn to the last two as I want to focus on how to present my work with the aim of it selling or being commissioned and I find the performance side of illustration, such as in schools or theatres, doesn't appeal to me personally. 


39.39, pop up shop at Bluebird


For today's session I joined the shop group and we had a total of 15 people in the end. Through our discussion we felt that we divided into 3 sub-groups that come bring the shop together as a whole; selling flat work, running interactive workshops/ sessions in the shop, shop and brand promotion. I don't feel confident running a workshop and my process wouldn't be suitable for the printing other members of my group want to run so I was happy to sell flat work and contribute to the setting up of the shop. We want it to be a mixture of gallery and shop; a chance to promote and view our work but with the intent of also selling work. It should be an interactive space that draws people in and we want to present our work in a way that takes it that step further from a gallery with stands and possibly hanging work from the ceiling. 

Sadly I had to leave before the different event groups presented their ideas as I was feeling too ill and no one could understand what I was saying to due to my stuffy nose! However I am really looking forward to the next session and it seems a great to way to get some more experience and work with some new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment