Tuesday 5 November 2013

Photography collaboration

In the past I have helped fellow student Henry Jackson as a wardrobe stylist for some of his fashion photography shoots (see image below) and this morning I took on the role of stylist/ art director during a still life shoot as I help him to visualise his set-ups so he can focus on the lighting and shooting. 

Untitled, Henry Jackson

The shoot was based around Dutch still life paintings as the theme for his work is opulence with rich colours and dark shadows. We went shopping for props that might be suitable and I brought along a green throw to drape in the background. In the end we managed to source a chunky glass decanter, some old books from the antiquarian bookstore, a range of fruit and some bright elaborate flowers.

'Olieverf op doek'', Willem Kalf

    The shoot setup    

This shoot is a test for the finals which will include fashion items and possibly more props such as brass candelabras, in order to practice lighting and layout. I enjoy working with Henry as it allows me to take on a completely new creative role away from illustration whilst also improving my composition skills. Art direction or stylist are both role I would also consider after university as I enjoy the involvement with a team working on something big whereas illustration can be a very solitary career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment