Saturday 23 November 2013

Eureka!


It is the week before deadline and I have had a moment where everything starts to make more sense! After my tutorial with Glyn a few days ago I felt a lot more focused about the direction of my work but with time running out and dissertation draft deadline looming it took a back seat. I've already decided that I want to create 3D layered illustrations or mini sets that I can light and photograph but I was feeling unsure about how to actually construct and set them up. After my tutorial I went to the library and got a book out called 'Papercraft 2: Design and Art with Paper' which is absolutely fantastic; this book is a compilation of any art made of paper and not specific to just book art or model making like they usually are. I am a great enthusiast of paper art but there are artists in this book that I have never come across such as Andrea Dezso and Andersen M Studio.


'Living Inside', Andrea Dezso


Andrea Dezso has created a series of 3D artworks called tunnel books that involve her layering up her paper illustrations and lighting them to create a sense of atmosphere and setting which is just the sort of thing I am after creating for The Night Circus. I had never thought of the accordion-style tunnel book as a way of displaying my layers so I now have a format for my finals which makes me feel much better- especially with 6 days left to go! 


'The Distant Hours', Andersen M Studio


Andersen M Studio has created some intricate paper model stop-motion animations for various promotional clients, my favourite being 'The Distant Hours' to promote Kate Morton's book. The lighting, framing and angles create a unsettling, mysterious atmosphere and the paper-cuts flow so well together and at one point a delicate paper dress swirls out of the soil. This animation and many of the others have really re-inspired me to push on with my own final pieces after I have been running out of steam and letting stress get to me. Tomorrow will be a productive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment