Monday 21 April 2014

Easter frustration

It is half way through the Easter holidays and I am finding myself a bit frustrated! Things with family are finally getting back on track with my brother moving to my town which is brilliant but unfortunately the move and practicalities have left me with very little time to work. I am trying to spend as much time as I can in my spare time but it is a set back never the less.

I wanted to complete 3 illustrations in response to Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Valley of Restlessness' as a short day or so exercise to get me back into practical work and the new project. Unfortunately I haven't had a whole day to do this so it has been spread over several days and I haven't had the time to resolve issues as fast as I would like. I currently have one illustration in the making although I am extremely happy with it. I am wanting to move more in digital collage and mixed media layering after the success of my UEA collaboration and this illustration has helped me feel confident that this is the right direction to go. The conflict I am having is trying to blend hand-drawn material with digital as it worked well in my UEA work as they were on separate pages in the book but complemented each other, whereas here I am trying to have them in the same illustrations as I don't think they'll work separate this time. I suppose the solution is to go all digital or find of way of subtly including some hand drawn illustrations and textures in the final images.


'The Valley of Restlessness'


The idea behind this illustration is to show the men in the valley before they go off to war and th valley becomes 'restless'. I have combined 4 different photographs and coloured the different layers to create some depth and atmosphere. I want to play around with removing their eyes to give a sinister feel that they are now dead at war and bring in that sense of foreboding in the valley.

The next stage is to keep developing and try and get as much work as I can before I return to Norwich for the last term. There's nothing I can do but plan and try!

No comments:

Post a Comment