Wednesday 23 April 2014

Brothers Grimm tales

After getting frustrated a few days ago at how my Easter productivity was going I am still feeling the same but trying to work through it. I have managed to do some more development on 'The Valley of Restlessness' but I still only have 2 half finished illustrations out of 3 finals. I think the solution will be to focus on the main fairytales I want to illustrate and work on the Poe poem as a side workshop to keep myself experimenting and give some creative relief when I get frustrated with the other work.

I have been looking into the Brothers Grimm fairy tales as I feel the sinister undertone is what I am looking for in my imagery and I have narrowed it down to three: Hans the Hedgehog, The Seven Ravens and The story of the Youth Who Left Home to Learn Fear. I narrowed it down to these three as they inspired me the most and I began getting visual ideas, possibly because they are all quite straightforward and dark. I find some fairy tales go off on strange tangents and bring in more unnecessary characters where I prefer to focus on the main protagonists and their journey. Hans the Hedgehog is about a son who is top half hedgehog, bottom half man and is judged by his family and peers so he rides off on his cockerel into the forest on his own adventure, which is undeniably a unique tale. The seven ravens resonated with me as I like the idea of a flock of cursed brothers saved by their sister on a long journey to recover them. The Story of the Youth Who Left Home to Learn Fear is a really dark and magical tale full of ghosts, ghouls and bravery and I am particularly excited to start planning my visuals for this story.


David Hockney's Brothers Grimm tales


The next stage is for me to start story boarding and drafting up some initial ideas so that when I start working on visualising my ideas I will have a range of ideas to reference from and keep me focused on what originally inspired me. Power on!

No comments:

Post a Comment