Friday 28 February 2014

UEA collaboration exhibition and reflection

Today we had an exhibition of the work we have done for our collaborations and some of the work was really fantastic and it was interesting to see how varied and unique our work can be as a course. I was really nervous to meet my collaborator but she was lovely and seemed really pleased with the final outcome. We split into groups and discussed the projects with the UEA tutors and then mingled as the tutors assessed the UEA students individually on the experience.


Embedded image permalink
Work on the walls from exhibiton


I am really happy with my final outcome, I really feel it has completely changed my outlook on my illustration practice. Having to work so fast and respond to text so spontaneously and quickly was so unlike the way I normally work which is slowly and too preciously and has caused me a lot of problems in the past. I also had to keep my imagery simplistic but bold and effective which resulted in me using digital collage which is something I have never done before. I feel like I have stumbled across a working method that instinctively suits me and working digitally allows me to bring my illustrations in, make new ones and not worry about making mistakes as I can undo things and save different versions. I also really enjoyed working with the book layout and how the different pages work together to reveal the imagery and so I am even more excited and involved in my other projects. This collaboration has been a really positive and enlightening experience and I have enjoyed working with written matter I wouldn't normally approach as the themes were out of my comfort zone. 



My final illustrations


After this experience I think it is important for me to apply the skills and methods I have developed form this project to my other projects as I feel that will really push my practice forward. I hope to keep in contact with my collaborator to possible develop future collaborations.

No comments:

Post a Comment