Monday 7 October 2013

First Day of 3rd Year



We had an introduction lecture today on starting 3rd year and our new project. I wrote my project proposal over the summer so I am set on illustrating The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern as it has such vivid imagery and I want to explore the context  of narrative illustration further. I was going to create a set of 6 illustrations out of default but after this lecture I am trying to think more of an outcome that best suits me and will best show my skills after the future aspirations advice:

'If you intend to become a freelance illustrator for example try to not limit your potential by selecting a single project that focuses on a specific genre.'

I don't want to limit myself and therefore I think it might be more helpful for me to create work in response to the text rather than for the text, possibly in a visual essay. I struggle to create set finals as I get over precious and freeze up so I often find my final outcomes naturally emerge through my exploration and development and I think this approach to an outcome will give me more flexibility and space for experimentation. I am also interested in creating some point of sale posters or promotional material for the book as I am interested in the way the circus appears unexpectedly with only warning through vague signage. 

The work I was strongest at last year was reportage as I enjoyed drawing from observation in a lively environment and trying to create a sense of narrative and order to those findings by presenting them in a book format. Therefore in approaching narrative illustration I think it is important for me to gather research from direct observation and allow that to develop as I did in my reportage projects which is why I am drawn to the idea of a visual essay.

I also really want to push on with making self- promotional work and start making myself a website and business cards and I feel by taking a more flexible approach to The Night Circus I might get some work that could influence this.

I was going to do my research report in response to 'The journey to being a successful freelance illustrator', but Glyn warned of approaching an industry report to try and comfort ourselves about life after university and being vague, which is where I think that title is heading. I am now thinking about specifically looking at agencies and whether they are a necessity or hindrance to freelance illustrators which is a subject I would like to know more about for myself but also gives me more of a focus. I need to start thinking of who I can contact for that and drafting a basic outline of what i could explore for my tutorial on Tuesday.

Beautiful Nightmares, Nicoletta Ceccoli

I am already feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of pressure that 3rd year brings so I am trying to crack on with my research. I went to the library and got out 'Beautiful Nightmares' by Nicoletta Ceccoli which has some fantastic surreal illustrations in a hazy, dreamlike way, and 'Hansel and Gretel' illustrated by Sybille Schenker which is an amazing book full of paper cut outs, layered tracing paper prints and collages that create really powerful, haunting imagery. I know that I want to spend a considerable amount of time this project finding out what materials and techniques work best for me and how to best capture the dark, dreamy atmosphere of the book.

Hansel and Gretel, Sybille Schenker

No comments:

Post a Comment